During her appearance before the Nigerian Senate as she was fielded questions from lawmakers today in Abuja, the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, enumerated not less than a dozen policies the President Muhamamdu Buhari-led administration is putting in place to reverse the worrisome trend of the naton’s economy.
According to Premium Times, the key areas Adeosun highlighted as being of immediate concerns to federal government with regards to tackling the alarming economic situation are as follows:
1. We would streamline the cost of government and improve efficiency of public service delivery across the Federal and Sub-national Governments.
2. Targeted spending on innovative social programmes and infrastructure, including social infrastructure.
3. Direct and model economic policies away from oil and towards non-oil revenues as global demand for oil decreases and supply increases
4. Focus on delivery of basic services to the Nigerian population upon which business can be built and improved standard of living can be achieved.
5. Build revenue capacity across Sub-national Governments by increasing IGRs to reduce dependence on the Federal Government.
6. Alignment of fiscal and monetary policies across medium and long-term goals.
7. Increase investor confidence in Nigeria.
8. Increased revenue mobilization and plugging of leakages.
9. Greater focus on Power, Transport, and Housing because these areas help to create wealth.
10.strengthen institutions of government across board including tackling corruption.
11. A financial sector that is strong, resilient and able to support the real economy.
12. Inclusive and sustainable growth – mobile communication, film industry, financial inclusion, among others.