As training for healthcare workers in the state kicks off
As part of the Pink October cancer awareness activities, the wife of the president is screening 1000 women for breast and cervical cancer free in Kebbi state. The screening is being carried out as a joint venture between the Medicaid Cancer Foundation, an initiative of the wife of the Kebbi State governor Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu and Future Assured, an initiative of Mrs Buhari. This is in addition to the 2000 being sponsored by the Kebbi state government.
The Breast Cancer Awareness month activities began in Sir Yahaya Hospital Birnin Kebbi with training and capacity building for 66 healthcare workers in the state. The training is being carried out jointly by Medicaid Cancer Foundation, Society for Family Health and the Nigerian Medical Association.
In a live radio and tv show, Dr Bagudu spoke on the relevance of early detection and ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle. She also answered questions from callers. Women across Kebbi state have been mobilized for the screening which starts in Bunza on Thursday 6th October. In addition, a ‘See and Treat’ intervention method is being used for any positives picked for cervical cancer by use of cryotherapy on the spot.
MCF as an organization that has been in existence for the past 8 year and has been involved in awareness, screening and treatment of cancer patients who can’t afford this on their own
It is in light of this work the wife of the President of the is partnering with Medicaid Cancer Foundation to sponsor an additional 1,000 women for breast and cervical cancer screening and treatment in Kebbi State.
Mrs Buhari’s Future Assured is an initiative that improves the health and well-being of women and children through advocacy, community mobilization and health promotion.
The Medicaid Cancer Foundation an 8 year old is particularly worried about the increasing practice of bringing very late and graphic cases to public attention in the North especially through social media and wishes to promote skills that will make early detection of cases easier so that outcomes can be improved. All activities are in line with the National Cancer Policy.
1. Walk Against Cancer: Go Pink Walk- 8am, 7th October 2016.
2. Free Cervical and Breast Cancer screening for women in 4 LGAs – Birnin Kebbi, Bunza, Arewa and Nagaski.
3. Training exercise for 66 health workers across the state on Cervical Cancer screening using visual inspection, Holding in Sir Yahaya General hospital From 4th October.
4. Setting up and donating start up materials to the 4 LGAs.
5. Media chats and sensitization forum in Waziri Umar Polytechnic, Bunza, Ngaski and Arewa LGAs.
6. Cancer awareness and Fundraising evening in support of Cancer victims in the state.
6. Launch of a film on Cancer awareness starring Rahama Sadau, and similar educative songs by rapper Morell and Sadiq Zazzabi
Several of Nigerian governors wives have NGOs that focus on Cancer advocacy and are expected to be in Kebbi State this week. They include Bolanle Ambode of Lagos, Florence Ajimobi of Oyo, and Amina Abubakar from Niger state.