A Delta State -born resident clergy man, Pastor Israel Ovie, his wife and four children yesterday escaped death by the whisker, following an evening fire outbreak that razed the state district headquarters of Greater Power of God Fire Mission International in Amarata, a suburb of Yenagoa metropolis.
The fire incident was reportedly triggered by a candle light by the pastor’s six years old daughter, Dominion Israel, due to power outage in the apartment designated as pastor’s residence.
According to an eyewitness, the inferno, which started at about 8:45pm, destroyed property worth millions of naira in the church constructed with planks. It took the timely intervention of neighbours and passers-by to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby houses.
Pastor Ovie later narrated his experience to jounalists.
He said, “On Monday night around 9pm, I went to a pharmacy to buy drugs for my sick wife and I told my six -year old daughter to light a candle since there was no public power.
“We all went to bed, unknown to us, the candle fell on clothes and spread to other things, and before we could realise what was happening, the whole church building was on fire. Some sympathisers and neighbours came out and help put out the fire before men of the state fire service arrived. We thank God as no life was lost.
“The fire consumed everything including band sets, electronics, chairs and all our personal effects since we live in the church building. We are appealing to the state government and well-meaning Nigerians and organizations to come to our aid.”
Make Money Online in Nigeria... Click HERE To Start Now!