Kenyan rescuers have pulled an 18-month-old girl from the rubble of a six-storey building in Nairobi, four days after the block collapsed, killing over 23 people.
“Good news!” Kenya Red Cross said. “A child aged about one and half years rescued alive at 04:00 hours [01:00 GMT] and referred to Kenyatta National hospital.”
According to the Red Cross, the little girl was found in a bucket wrapped in a blanket and was dehydrated but without visible injuries.
She had been there for 80 hours since the building, which was home to 150 families crammed into single rooms, collapsed on Friday night.
A statement by the Red Cross about an hour said father has reunited with the baby and is calling all media four a press briefing
Nairobi’s police chief, Japheth Koome, called it a miracle and said the emergency services were continuing their rescue efforts. Police said the death toll from the tragedy rose to 23 on Tuesday after two more bodies were found.
The building, in the poor, tightly packed Huruma neighbourhood, had been slated for demolition after being declared structurally unsound. But an evacuation order for the structure, which was built near a river just two years ago, was ignored.
Five people are to appear in court on Tuesday to face manslaughter charges over the incident.