Lawyer to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has given an indication that Former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki, was being held for other allegations aside the arms procurement scandal. This revelation came to the fore when counsel to Dasuki, Joseph Daudu (SAN) and Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), representing EFCC, were addressing the court on a motion praying for the release of Dasuki. Dasuki had been denied freedom despite at least two court orders. DAILY POST recalls that he was, after his release from Kuje Prison, rearrested by the Department of State Services (DSS). During Thursday proceedings, the prosecution explained that DSS rearrested Dasuki on the grounds that it was investigating the former NSA on alleged breach of service law when he was in the army. The offences were allegedly committed 22 years after he left service in 1994. The prosecution counsel said: “Dasuki was a fugitive for seven years and he is being investigated for series of alleged offences he committed when he was in the army.” He, however, advised Dasuki to evoke section 46 of the constitution and institute a civil action to challenge his arrest and enforce his fundamental right to his liberty. Earlier, the defence counsel (Daudu), in a motion, urged the court to prohibit the government from further prosecuting Dasuki or seeking any indulgence from the court until the bail granted him was allowed to be enjoyed. He protested that his client was being unfairly treated after different courts of justice had granted him bail, a situation he described as constituting contempt of the court. The defense counsel also asked Justice Baba-Yusuf to discharge the defendant of all offences contained in the charge against Dasuki on the grounds that the government could not lawfully prosecute Dasuki having been in contempt of the court. Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf fixed February 8, 2016, to rule on whether to discharge Dasuki of the criminal charges preferred against him or not. Reacting, an associate of the ex-NSA told DAILY POST that the current government has unconsciously told the world that Dasuki’s probe is not just about arms deal. “Do we conclude that government security agencies are carrying out a vendetta? It doesn’t appear this is balanced trial now that we know there is perhaps a political undertone,” he said. “They say he maltreated President Buhari during the coup, a speculation he has clarified on more than one occasion, saying he met the General only at Bonny Camp with Lawal Rafindadi. Most of the actors are alive.” “They say offences after he left Army for 1994; I hope this people are not confused already. How many offences are they now charging him for? Five hundred, a thousand or more? They should be honourable to make it public and stop bringing up more charges after bails are granted. “They want to prosecute him for fighting for democracy? They should serve their memory cold water; Dasuki was one of those who insisted that MKO Abiola be freed and allowed to become President. He and others confronted late General Abacha over June 12 election. This led to their premature retirement in 1994. “The persecution that followed forced him into exile where he formed ties with like minds fighting for the return of democracy in Nigeria. Tinubu is alive and he is aware of what I am saying. He also left the shores of Nigeria when it became apparent his life was in danger. I won’t say more, we are watching.”
Make Money Online in Nigeria... Click HERE To Start Now!