When-Strenght-matters-728x90 (1)
Government & Politics

Okonjo-Iweala Blasts High Court Order: Lawsuit On ‘Missing N30tr’ Politically Motivated

nigeriana news app advert
We reported it here yesterday that in a suit filed by Socio-Economic Right Accountability Project (SERAP), former minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and the immediate past administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, was ordered by Ibrahim Buba, a justice of the federal high court Abuja, to account for the alleged missing N30 trillion under its administration.
In a statement on Monday by Paul Nwabuikwu the spokesman of Okonjo-Iweala, said that the former minister is unaware of any court judgment asking her to account for an alleged missing N30trn, describing the suit as ‘dubious and politically motivated’, adding that she had not been served with the court judgment
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala who disclosed that she had instructed her lawyers to take legal action on the matter, said;
“Our attention has been drawn to media reports regarding a court judgment alleged to have been entered against the federal government of Nigeria and Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in respect of an action by the Socio-Economic Rights Agenda (SERAP) pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.

“The high court, according to the media reports, ordered the Federal government and Dr. Okonjo-Iweala to provide information relating to N30 trillion Naira allegedly unaccounted for.

“Dr Okonjo-Iweala hastens to state that she was never served with any court processes in relation to the said matter. She has not read the judgment and would therefore defer any comments on the matter.

“However from the media reports, the case was instituted in February 2015 but was not served until July 2015 after Dr Okonjo-Iweala had already ceased to be the Minister of Finance.

“By the date the said papers were purportedly served Dr Okonjo-Iweala was no longer a public officer and could therefore not be the subject of a request for production of any documents or information under the Freedom of information Act.

“The court processes must have been served on others because the attention of Dr Okonjo-Iweala was never drawn to the matter in which she appears to have been sued personally. She therefore did not engage any lawyer to act for her in the matter.

“The decision of SERAP to anchor its case on a baseless and unsubstantiated allegation by former CBN governor Professor Charles Soludo that N30 trillion – about seven times the total annual budget during the Jonathan administration – is missing confirms SERAP’s dubious motives and its role as a tool for politically motivated actors.

“It is curious that the first time Dr Okonjo-Iweala is being made aware of a matter filed against her in court is in news reports reporting the delivery of judgment. She has instructed her lawyers to take steps to set aside the judgment as it affects her.‎”

Make Money Online in Nigeria... Click HERE To Start Now!

To Top