Militants under the aegis of the new group, the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA), yesterday demanded some conditions that should be met by the Federal Government in order to ensure peace in the Niger Delta.
The group which claimed responsibility for the recent bombings of the Chevron valve facility, and the 48-inch trunk line supplying crude oil to Warri refinery has declared that it will “crumble the economy” unless its demands are met.
The demands are as follows:
– Immediate implementation of the report of the 2014 national conference or the country would break up.
– Ownership of oil blocks must reflect 60 per cent for the oil-producing people and 40 per cent for others
– The nation’s only maritime university located in ‘‘the most appropriate and befitting place Okerenkoko must start the 2015/2016 academic session immediately
– The Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi should apologise to the Ijaw and the entire Niger Delta people for his ‘‘careless and reckless statement” about the sitting of the university.
– The Ogoniland and indeed all oil-polluted areas in the Niger Delta must be cleaned up and compensation paid to all oil-producing communities.
– Demanded that the leader of the group, Nnamdi Kanu, should be released unconditionally as a court has ruled
– Niger Delta Amnesty programme must be well funded and allowed to continue to function effectively.
– Buhari, the Department of State Services and Timipre Sylva should apologise to the people of the Niger Delta region and the family of the late former Governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha for killing him ‘‘with intimidation and harassment because of his party affiliation.