The death toll at the collapsed five-storey structure located at the end of Kushenla Road, Chisco bus stop, Ikate Elegushi in Lekki area of Lagos State, which collapsed on Tuesday morning has hit 23.
South West Spokesperson of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye confirmed to our reporter that five more bodies were recovered from the rubbles Wednesday bringing the death toll to 23.
General Manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Mr. Micheal Akindele who also confirmed the death toll, said 18 bodies were recovered on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode has ordered the suspension of work in the area by Lekki Gardens, the construction company behind the collapsed building.
The Governor in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde, also asked all the directors of the said Lekki Gardens Company, to report to the Inspector General of Police, within the next 24-hours, in their own interest.
Ambode who also expressed condolences on behalf of the government over the death of construction site workers, who lost their lives on Tuesday as a result of the collapse, said the initial enquirers by the state government showed that safety standards had been dangerously compromised, coupled with weak supervision which must have led to the collapse of the building.
He said the state government will no not fold its arms and allow unnecessary loss of lives and property.
“Such criminal neglect will no longer go without appropriate consequences,” he said
He however commended the timely response and intervention by the combined men of the Lagos State Emergency Authority (LASEMA), the Lagos State Fire Service, Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS), Red Cross, National Emergency Agency (NEMA), Lagos State Building Control Agency and the Rapid Response Service (RRS), which helped to save the lives of about 15 persons who were retrieved from the rubbles alive.