Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, on Monday said the new video released by the Boko Haram brought back the consciousness of Chibok schoolgirls, saying many people would forget immediately the effect of the video is over.
He made this known at the presidential villa in Abuja on Monday, saying the office of the national security adviser had been doing its best to ensure that the girls are reunited with their parents.
He said: “Most people will forget the issue of these girls as soon as the effect of this video is over but the government is daily working on it. Until the release of this video, the effort is not attracting any attention. But every day, the office of the NSA and others concerned are working on it.
“For us, it is not just because of the release of the video but because of our belief that there will be no final closure to Boko Haram until we are able to resolve the issue of these girls”
Lai Mohammed further affirmed that the government was in contact with the sect, and explained that proper steps were being taken to avoid engaging the innocent ones.
“I am talking from a point of knowledge. It does not matter what other people say. I know that the government is in touch with the group,” he said.
“We are just being careful and cautious to ensure that we are talking to the right people, especially with the news that there is a split in the leadership. Until you are able to ascertain the authenticity of those you are talking to, you don’t go into details.
“But what is important is the safety and security of these girls. The thrust of my statement was to assure the nation that we are on top of the situation. We are not even just reacting to the video; we have gone far beyond the video in talking to the group already.”
Make Money Online in Nigeria... Click HERE To Start Now!