“We do not know how the fire started. And we never knew it would spread because we thought that it was just an ordinary smoke. Then, it became serious.
“We still appreciate the efforts of the state fire fighters in putting out the fire, though they arrived late,” she said.
Jully Bobby, one of the affected residents, sobbed as she recounted her losses.
She said all her belonging, including money, clothing and mobile phone, were lost in the fire.
At Imgbi Road, Amarata, where the second fire happened, a car and some shops were destroyed.
The fire was believed to have been sparked by adulterated kerosene loaded in the car.
“It would have been a disaster if not for the help of the fire service. The car was fully loaded with fuel. I commend the efforts of the state fire fighters,” a female resident said.
Station Driver, Bayelsa Fire Service Command, Mr. Prince Ogun, urged the people to promptly call the fire service when they have an emergency.
“The one at Imgbi Road was in the night, Friday, at about 8pm; we went there with our fire fighting personnel and we were able to put out the fire.
“In fact, the two incidents were shocking, as many houses were burnt, though no life was lost.
“I am advising members of the public against the use of candles and to desist from illegal oil bunkering to avoid fire incidents,” Ogun said. (NAN)
Make Money Online in Nigeria... Click HERE To Start Now!