Metro News

#RIP! 24-Year-Old UNIZIK Medical Student Killed By Fire (Photo)


A first class hopeful of the College of Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, Uchenna Ogbu, was buried on Saturday amidst grief and lamentation.

The 24-year-old final year medical student was killed by cooking gas fire.

Southern City News learnt that Ogbu met his death when he went to cook in the college’s hostel’s common kitchen.

“When he entered the kitchen, he didn’t notice that some other students had used a cooking gas without putting it off. So when Uchenna was about to put on his own stove to cook, he was caught up in a web of fire and he had heavy degree burns.

“He was rushed to an orthopedic hospital and after some days, he gave up the ghost,” a source who pleaded anonymity said.

Uchenna, who hailed from a humble home in Amagunze, Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State, was said to have lived with a guardian in Amawbia, Anambra State since childhood.

“Uchenna was a very humble boy and had lived with a guardian here in Amawbia since his childhood. Most people didn’t know he wasn’t from this community. He grew up here, a lovable boy.

“He attended Comprehensive Secondary School, Nawfia, where he became a senior prefect. He took his WASC once and got all his papers. He scored 304 in JAMB and got admission into the University barely two months after leaving secondary school,” another source added.

Southern City News learnt that the late Uchenna had maintained a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 4.7 in the Medical College and was cruising happily to a first class grade upon graduation about June this year, but for the fire incident.

ALSO READ:  Militants Order South East And South-South Natives To Return Home As They Plot 'Something Big'

At St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Amawbia, where late Uchenna used to worship, it was all good testimonies for the fallen star.

Precious Okafor, a Philosophy graduate of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, said of Uchenna, “I knew him when we had our confirmation classes here at St. Peter’s some years back. He was the leader of our confirmation class.

“You need to see his leadership quality and the type of brilliance he exuded during the period. This is really a great loss to everybody. This guy belonged to seven several groups in the church and everybody was impressed with his ability.”

Southern City News learnt that Uchenna did not die alone in the fire incident.

It was gathered that in the confusion that ensued during the inferno, a medical intern of the college had to jump from the balcony of a two storey building to escape, but died in the process as he hit his head on a cemented floor .

The College of Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University has a history of losing students in gas fire outbreaks.

About 15 years ago, Miss Amilo, a medical student of the College, and a daughter of a popular politician in the state, lost her life in similar circumstance.

Efforts to get the Director of Communications of the University, Mr. Emmanuel Ojukwu, to speak on the issue did not yield any result as calls to his telephone did not go through.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending this week

To Top