Barely a week after its leader, Abubakar Shekau appeared in a video looking subdued as he hinted that the end has come for him, the Boko Haram sect released a new video Friday denying any suggestions it would surrender.
In a video clip posted on YouTube, Boko Haram maintained it was a potent fighting force as its fighters posed with AK-47s in front of Toyota Hilux pick-up trucks and a lorry mounted with a military cannon.
“You should know that there is no truce, there is no negotiations, there is no surrender,” an unidentified masked man wearing camouflage said in a prepared script in Hausa, in the video posted on YouTube.
“This war between us will not stop, a masked man wearing camouflage read in a prepared script in Hausa.
The video which featured nine masked Boko Haram fighters standing on sandy ground in an undisclosed desert location was of better quality than Shekau’s.
It is unclear if the masked people in the video include the Boko Haram leader,but the masked man in the video said Shekau was still the head of the “West African wing”, and likened Boko Haram to the Islamist insurgencies in Iraq, Libya and Syria.
“You should know that there is no truce, there are no negotiations, there is no surrender.
“This war between us will not stop,” the character said.
No fewer than 20,000 people have been killed since Boko Haram began its campaign of violence in 2009 to carve out a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria. More than 2.6 million people have fled their homes since then but some of the internally displaced have begun returning.
The Nigerian Army, however, continue to win major battles against the terror group, claiming to kill scores of terrorists on a weekly basis. The army recently captured the ‘Alagarno’ one of Boko Haram’s spiritual base.