According to Dailymail, Australian Defence Force cadets were told to ‘suck it up’ after being forced by seniors officers to rape or perform horrific sex acts on one another while others were pushed to suicide, a royal commission has heard.
The commission heard how 15-year-old cadet Eleanore Tibble was driven to commit suicide
Investigation into the horrible act commenced on Tuesday in Sydney by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child S*x Abuse. The examination into the ADF’s handling of abuse allegations will involve the navy, army and airforce.
Those who survived the horrific ordeal has told the commission there was a ‘culture of abuse’ and secrecy in defence force facilities across the country, with its teenage recruits subjected vile sexual, emotional and physical abuse at the hands of senior officers, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The commission heard how 15-year-old cadet Eleanore Tibble was driven to commit suicide after the ADF threatened her with a dishonourable discharge because she had a sexual relationship with a 30-year-old instructor.
Her mother Susan Campbell was among the 111 people who contacted the commission about the ADF as they failed to tell her daughter the ‘fraternisation’ charges were being dropped.
Giving evidence, a former Navy cadet who served at the Leeuwin base, in Perth’s south, in 1967 told the commission he was ‘repeatedly’ dragged to an oval, raped and forced to perform oral sex on his fellow recruits.
‘I was forced to suck another recruit’s penis or lick a junior recruit’s anus. This was often after another recruit who had been buggered by an older recruit and ejaculated into,’ the man who was given the pseudonym CJA told the hearing.
‘Other times I was forced to have anal intercourse with junior recruits or I was raped by another junior recruit who was directed to so by the older recruits or base staff,‘ he added.
Susan Campbell, Eleanore Tibble was among the 111 people who contacted the commission about the ADF
He said senior officers told him to ‘suck it up’ as they had done and that the continued abuse would ‘make a man out of him’, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
CJA also told the commission he was afraid to complain after witnessing a chef ejaculate into an officer’s food before it was presented to him. Graeme Frazer, who survived horrendous abuse when he was 16 the same naval training base said it took 36 years before the Navy and the Department of Defence acknowledged the systemic abuse.
A task force was set up in 2012 to look at 2,400 historical complaints of abuse in the ADF.